this is interesting
What is it?
Compounding allows specially trained pharmacists to custom make medications for an individual patient (human or animal), based on that patient’s unique needs and symptoms.
A compounding pharmacist uses raw chemicals, powders, liquids and special equipment to make medications. This results in a customized medication made by a pharmacist, according to a doctor’s directions to meed an individual patient’s needs.
Compounding is fundamental to the profession of pharmacy, and pharmacists are the only health care professionals that have studied chemical compatibilities and who can prepare alternate dosage forms.
Why have a prescription compounded?
Usually people have prescriptions compounded for themselves or their loved ones/pets for the following reasons:
- Allergies to preservatives/dyes (lactose, alcohol, sugar) in a manufactured medication)
- An inability to make a medication in its current form. For example, if a patient had difficulty swallowing a capsule, we could formulate the medicine into an oral solution or transdermal gel
- Medications that are not commercially available
- Medication cannot be tolerated at its current strength, or in its current dose form
- Medication that is available is not effective for them