What is Compounding?
What is Prescription Compounding?
Prescription compounding can improve peoples’ health, by making medicine easier to take. Compounding allows specially trained pharmacists to “custom make” medications for an individual patient (human or animal), based on that patient’s unique needs and symptoms.
A compounding pharmacist ruses raw chemicals, powders, liquids and special equipment to make medications. This results in a customized medication made by a pharmacists, according to a doctor’s directions, to meet an individual patient’s needs.
Compounding is fundamental to hte profession of pharmacy, and pharmaicsts are the only health care professionals that have studied chemical compatibilities and who can prepare alternate dosage forms.
Why have a prescription compounded?
Usually people have prescriptions compounded for themselves or their loved ones/pets for the following reasons:
- Allergies to preservatives/dyes (lactose, alcohol, sugar) in a manufactured medication)
- An inability to make a medication in its current form. For example, if a patient had difficulty swallowing a capsule, a compounding pharmacist might be able to formulate the medicine into an oral solution or transdermal gel
- The medication that is needed to treat their condition is not commercially available
- The medication that is available to treat their condition can not be tolerated at its current strength, or in its current dose form
- The medication that is available to treat their condition is not effective for them
Give us a call or Contact Us today if you have any questions, or are interested in having up help you feel better!
Phone: (401) 284 – 4505
Fax: (401) 284 – 4506